Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!

"Look!", said John the Baptizer. "Look at Him; don't look at me! He's the one you've been waiting for!"

I need to stop and listen. I need to take a step back, and breath.

Picture this moment. The Savior of the World walking towards you. A mass of people gathered; each person thinking about their problems.

"My wife hates me."

"Why is my child sick?"

"How am I going to get my bills paid?"

"What is wrong with these terrorists?"

"Why is the world so full of hate?"

"My husband doesn't love me anymore."

"I can't seem to get out of this rut."

"Why does it hurt so much?"

So much despair. So much pain; anger. So many people making gods of their own fashion. So many making gods out of themselves.

Everyone worships something, or someone.

The Lamb of God approaches. Sin is His only enemy. He has come to defeat it; brutally. He will annihilate it. The Lamb will be slaughtered, only to return in 3 days; and change the world. His sacrifice will be our freedom. We won't have to be held prisoners by sin ever again.

He has freed us.

Many will continue to walk in their despair, unaware He is in their midst. They can't see Him; too busy staring their problems in the face.

Behold! Don't you see Him? He's right there; ready to free you!

It's so hard for me to see Him sometimes. It gets so busy here. My life is full of temptations, work, and guilt. Pain is all around me. I'm not blind.

But deep inside, John calls out, "Behold!". I always hear that voice. Sooner or later, but I hear it.

My Father calls out to this chief of sinners; His love is overwhelming. I can't pull away from Him. He draws me in. It doesn't matter where I've been or what I'm doing, He calls me in and patiently waits for me. He always welcomes me with a smile and a warm hug. His love overwhelms because He never says "you have failed me." He never condemns me.

He takes away my sin.

People see me as a part-time preacher. They think I'm always focused on God (I wish I was!). In Spanish, they use condescending terms like que lindo (how cute), tilting their heads slightly.

It doesn't bother me anymore. My heart has turned a different corner of late.

I see them, and I hurt for them. I feel like saying "BEHOLD!", but who talks like that these days?

It is a great word though. Behold! He's right there! Hello? Can't you see Him? Would you stop focusing on yourself and look around? He's right there and wants to bring you comfort and freedom! Look! You don't have to be shackled by your pain, sin, doubts and heartache. You can actually be free! You're not enlightened; you're entombed! He's here to free you!

"Que lindo" they respond. "He's always talking about God. That's so sweet."

Sorry; it's difficult for me to be subtle sometimes. Sometimes, you just have to cry out.



"Is there anybody out there?" - Pink Floyd

No comments: