Saturday, February 24, 2007

Be Careful What You Say, or Think...


We had someone visiting our house yesterday for a bit. She is an educator; nice lady, and mother of my daughter's friend. We talked about the Miami-Dade County Public School system.

The topic then segued naturally into the decline of western civilization (i.e., public schools + indoctrination = decline). She told us how the high school she works in is overflowing with children who consider themselves to be homosexuals, and how it is prevalent in middle schools as well. It's openly practiced, it's accepted, and the schools themselves, in an attempt to be "inclusive", strive to bring "understanding" on the subject.

I then gave my opinion on the subject, which was that as far as these kids go, I see their behavior to be akin to the Goth kids syndrome. In other words, homosexuality is the new cool social outcast group; the underdogs who can speak with a lisp, but without the dark eye-liner and black lipstick. It's more about identifying with a group (and freaking out their parents) then it is about gender identification or confusion.

This teacher then opened her eyes really wide, and with a look that almost resembled fear quickly gave the generic response to get her out of having to discuss this topic further, "well I don't care what people do behind closed doors...". She said it almost as if someone might be recording the conversation.

It's amazing to me how people react to this topic of conversation. Seinfeld masterfully gave an example of this in his show, when he coined the phrase "...not that there's anything wrong with that..." whenever being gay was talked about in that episode.

In fact, I can't think of any other behavior (I'm sorry, "lifestyle") that is more widely protected. You can't talk about it, unless you're using words like "lifestyle", or "life-partner". The way people broach the subject, you'd think we were living under a communist regime and we had to speak in codes, and quietly whisper your opinion, for fear that you may be arrested for speaking ill of the Party.

In fact, if you have read up to this point, how do you feel right now? Read what I said again. I made a comment of how kids find identity in homosexuality; I didn't say anything about the behavior. I made a comment about "lisps", but only because, hey, it's an identifying factor (just watch Bird Cage, La Cage Au Foles... and that guy's character on Will and Grace in the above photograph). I didn't say anything about the behavior being wrong or right, sin or not; nothing about being born with it or not.

But I bet at this point you're either angry, offended, feeling suspect, not wanting to say anything, even to yourself; maybe even fearful of your own thoughts, lest you find yourself being judgemental (the greatest sin in today's society, by the way).

I really am not impressed, phased or influenced by how the world thinks. I believe most people live the way they want and I really don't want to get involved. Why? Because I've learned that people will do what they want even to their own detriment, and there isn't a damn thing I can do about it. I refuse to spin my wheels trying to convince others of anything. Someone wants to be in a serious relationship with his goldfish, that's fine with me too. I like to get involved when someone finds they need help. When they are in it too deep; they have reached the end of their rope. Only then can God start to mold and help that person. Up until that point, I can just be their friend; let them see who I am, and hopefuly they'll see that I'm a child of God -- a guy who found food for life and wants to show them where to get it.

What is amazing to me is watching how easily people are swayed one way or another. The Bible is right when it says we are sheep in a pasture, easily led astray.

I must say the homosexual movement and lobby has done an impressive job of swaying opinions on the subject of gender. Maybe we as Christians could take some lessons from them when it comes to preaching the gospel.

Oh, wait. I forgot. The Gospel, as taught to us in the Scriptures, is spread by the power of the Holy Spirit; not by human manipulation, propaganda, cash and indoctrination ala Nazi Germany or Communist Cuba.

Silly me.

No comments: