Monday, April 23, 2007

Drowning With Land in Sight


I just got back from class (it's 11:00pm) but I had to get this post in. Today, I received my used copy of the out of print Drowning With Land In Sight Album by The 77's.

This album is one of the last great rock albums to come out of the Christian market (it was released in 1994). By last great, I mean they don't make music like this anymore (at least not in the Jesus music camp). This is pure rock, with heavy blues influence. It's hard, creative and honest.

I love the lyrics to Dave's Blues:

I've got a feelin'
I'll be headin' down for good
Got that feelin'
I'm never gonna do the things I should
I'm caught in this world
Heaven sent but hell possessed

Feeling grey since my black went white
Yes means no and no means yes

I do believeI finally need a Saviour at last
I never saw the need before, but now
That time has passed

No ifs ands or buts
This ol' world has
kicked my ass

I alternate
Between fantasy
And the cold
hard truth

I oscillate
Between the cool and the uncouth
But I
resonate
To the piercing eyes of God
I saw in my youth
Where did He go?
What is He thinking about me now?

Am I a delight to Him or
Little more than a holy cow?

Moo moo baby
Feel I been milked down
Brown how now

Best track on the album has got to be the cover of Blind Willie Johnson's Nobody's Fault But Mine; better than Zepellin's cover (no, seriously; it's that good).

Moo moo, baby.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Marquito, es posible escuchar ese tema?, por favor envĂ­alo a robinsoncastillo@gmail.com

"Best track on the album has got to be the cover of Blind Willie Johnson's Nobody's Fault But Mine; better than Zepellin's cover (no, seriously; it's that good)."

Saludos desde La Serena - Chile